Thursday, November 29, 2012

Killers Interview: Ballad Born

















The Killers' new album, Battle Born, sounds like Meat Loaf. At first I hated it. Now I can't stop listening to it.

In the course of writing this story about the band for The Oregonian, I got over clunky lines like "Don't want your picture on my cell phone," and found myself absent-mindedly belting them. The record is sort of like variations on a theme. I appreciate the dedication to the experiment.

I also appreciated talking to drummer Ronnie Vannucci, Jr. I love interviewing bass players, drummers, keyboardists--people who usually aren't the face of the band. It gives you a chance to ask more unusual questions. We had a great conversation about how drummers act on stage, and a lot of that made it in the piece.

It came up because when the Killers last played Portland, I remember noting how animated Vannucci was on stage. He's a fun guy to talk to, and apparently he enjoys Portland a lot and likes to wander around when he visits, so keep an eye out next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment