Thursday, February 23, 2012

In Vino, Magus


When I first discovered wine, I was 19 and studying in Spain. While other kids liked to drink hard alcohol at the massive parties in the town square, I liked to drink wine straight out of the bottle. I would soak the label off so I just had the green glass with a cork sticking out. It felt like I was drinking a piece of history instead of just getting wasted, which was appropriate considering the city where I lived, Málaga, is more than 2000 years old.

It took a long time (and falling in love with a particular woman) for me to appreciate the wines of the Northwest after I came back. I'm thrilled to have had the chance to write a pair of articles about one of my favorites, Montinore Estate of Forest Grove.

Their wines are biodynamically grown, which makes them so magical I don't even have to soak the labels off to feel like some kind of ancient poet. I was shocked to learn that their biodynamic growing practices actually save them money, so I wrote about that for Sustainable Business Forum.

I also attended an event Montinore had in its tasting room on Valentine's weekend where couples could make their own special blend of Pinot Noir. It was fun to write a sweet, gushy story about it for The Oregonian.

Image: A row of grapes growing as nature intended at Montinore Estate.

No comments:

Post a Comment