Friday, January 6, 2012

Keeper of the High Rocks



Last summer, I spent a lot of time at a place called High Rocks. It's a park just outside of Portland, about 15 minutes from my house, where you can jump off a cliff into a river.

It didn't take long before I got to know Tiger. He's sort of a volunteer caretaker of the park, cleaning up trash and making small changes to the landscape to make the diving safer. I wrote a story about him for The Oregonian, and produced a radio story about him for Destination DIY, an independent program that airs on OPB.

Here's some video I shot while reporting the radio story. It's pretty ad-hoc, shot on my handheld digital camera. I wasn't planning on doing video, but when Tiger took me to his camp, I knew I had to capture it. He said I'm only the third person he's brought out there, but that he didn't mind if I filmed.



The camp is actually built into the side of a hill. Note all the lines holding it up.



And finally, here is Tiger's mode of transportation. He has a really fancy electric bike he built with his brother, but he keeps it at his brother's place. This is more incognito. Before Tiger filled in the landscape with sand, he wouldn't have been able to bring his bike to High Rocks like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment