Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's All Right Now

lamb
Every now and then, it can be really rewarding to take on album reviews of genres I don't really know much about. That's how I learned about Latin guitarist Alfredo Muro, who I listen to frequently a couple of years after writing about him. My most recent exploration is Portland funk saxophonist Patrick Lamb, whose new album, It's All Right Now, I reviewed for The Oregonian last week.

The first time I put on the record, I was cleaning. Suddenly, I found myself bouncing around and smiling. I was glad I could connect with the fun vibe of the album so easily--going to Lewis & Clark College had pretty much worn me out on funk, so I thought.

I gave the album an A- because I think it definitely accomplishes what it sets out to and there aren't really any duds on it. I don't feel like it's terribly original, however--that's the only thing it could have done to earn a solid A. I gather Lamb really shines live, so I will have to catch him one of these days. In the mean time, here's a video from one of his concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment