Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lilith Fair Portland: Sheryl Crow Kills!

Lilith Finale
Last weekend I reviewed Lilith Fair's Portland stop for the Oregonian. It was a lot of fun! I actually got to meet Sheryl Crow--more on that at a future date. In the mean time, photos!

Erykah Badu

I thought Erykah Badu would probably be awesome, but she wasn't really. Although I gather she put on a great show later that same night at the Someday Lounge. And you gotta hand it to her for wearing two colors of warm ups on stage in front of 6000 people and totally pulling it off.

Erykah Badu

Sheryl Crow

Then, like a beacon from the gods of rock came Sheryl Crow. She killed, absolutely killed. After her first song, she did a little improv singing bit and said, "I'm not fucking around!" She wasn't. A few songs later, I could actually see people freaking out all the way to the back row because the performance was balls out the whole time time. Bear in mind Sheryl Crow is 48 years old. I think she will still kill at age 78. She's going to be the rock 'n' roll Willie Nelson.

Sheryl Crow

Next up was Sugarland, who looked a lot like Arcade Fire. Check out this sweet drum set.

Sugarland

Sugarland

Around this time, some fan in the front row saw me taking photos and was like, "Do you want one with the band?" And I said OK.

noob

Sarah McLachlan wrapped things up. Her music is pretty spiritual. My mind wandered to some deep places while she played. Did you know Sarah McLachlan has, like, an unbelievable voice?

Sarah McLachlan

Sarah McLachlan

For the last song, "Because the Night" by Patti Smith, every performer from every stage came out to sing together. How cool is that? I appreciate the love for the artists relegated to the smaller stages.

Lilith Finale

No comments:

Post a Comment