Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wanted: American Folk Metal Musicians

DeadwoodHBO-2

I recorded these two songs with my friend Mark Jackson-Weaver last year, and despite the fact that I think they're the best songs I've recorded so far, this is the first daylight they've seen. I wanted to put out a call for musicians to play this style of music with me (Mark lives in Albuquerque) but I didn't know what to call it or how to describe it or even what I was going for really. But tonight I figured it out. I want to start an American folk metal band.

European metal bands that draw on Norse folk traditions are common. But why not look to blues and country? Could a metal band incorporate elements of doom and thrash as well as Negro spirituals and traditional American folk songs like the ones that inspired Bob Dylan? Is it possible to be brutal and lyrical? I think without realizing it, that's where I was heading here, if subtly.

The King of Pentacles


Motel Paraiso


I'll take care of guitar and lead vocals. Would you like to play drums, bass, piano, fiddle, pedal steel, banjo, washboard, harmonica or something else?

Image: If Deadwood had a doom band, this would be it.

4 comments:

  1. you should consider talking to the guy from the maybe happening/nick jaina. He definitely knows how to translate some fiddle to rock environments.

    these tracks are your best imho

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude these tracks are awesome! especially Motel Paraiso! What's the name of your band?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still no band, I'm afraid, Katie. I hope to start playing out by myself this year though!

    ReplyDelete