Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Movie Biz Advice from Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon via Lovline

CR1-DrDrew

So the other night I was doing the dishes and listening to Loveline on the radio because I love that shit and you know you do too. (Although my first love was Dr. Judy on the less popular and now forgotten Love Phones.) Anyway, the guests were Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon, two of the creators of Reno 911! and seven or eight other movies.

When I tuned in, Garant and Lennon along with Dr. Drew and his new co-host dude whatshisname were talking about how many movies are badly written. They said the problem is that studios often assign large teams. There are too many cooks in the kitchen and next thing you know, bad dialog.

Since I am currently co-writing a summer blockbuster (fact!), I thought I'd call in and see what advice I could get about getting a script that isn't written by a committee made into a movie. I didn't really get that advice, but I did get a good pep talk about writing. After my call, Garant and Lennon left and Dr. Drew said he really liked their advice. The advice and Drew's comment are in the clip below.

No comments:

Post a Comment